Open Thread For Euro, World Cup Qualifying and a Few Friendlies
Written by Bobby McMahon on November 11, 2011 | 39 Comments »
Posted in International
The international schedule makes for strange weeks for fans. There is a logic behind Friday and Tuesday fixtures but it doesn’t make it any easier to like.
Here are a few of the major matches today, on Saturday there is the England vs. Spain friendly at Wembley.
Euro 2012 Play-offs
Bosnia- Herzégovina v Portugal
- Repeat of WC 2010 play-off – Portugal won both legs 1-0
- Portugal with bizarre defensive performances – allowed 5 goals in final 2 matches (Iceland 3 and Denmark 2) and 4 in a draw against Cyprus earlier in qualifying.
- Bosnia-Herzegovina only allowed 8 goals in 10 qualifying game but will be missing three defenders – Boris Pandza and Sasa Papac are suspended & Mensur Mujdza is injured.
Estonia vs. Republic of Ireland
- Sixth time the Republic has been involved in a playoff to qualify for a major tournament and they have lost all but one of the previous five.
- This tie the first time that they will play the second leg at home.
- Only allowed 1 goal against in last 5 qualifying matches
- Estonia finished behind Italy but above Serbia and Slovenia in group C but this is the first time they had even finished group qualifying with a positive goal difference
- Estonians failed to keep a clean sheet in any of their 10 qualifying matches
- Won their last three matches to qualify including 2 against N. Ireland
Czech Republic v Montenegro
- Petr Cech still a doubt – suffered a broken nose – if Cech does not play then Jaroslav Drobny will start
- Montenegro finished with a 2-0 loss to Switzerland in their final game.
- Montenegro won first three in Euro group stage but then three draws and two losses in other 5 games
- No team in play offs scored fewer goals (7) nor conceded fewer (equal with Ireland and Croatia 7)
Turkey vs Croatia
- At home Turkey have a good record – 4 of 5 wins came at home – the loss was to Germany
- Midfield and attacking strength in Arda Turan of Atletico Madrid and Mehmet Topal of Valencia
- Hiddink looking to become the second coach to reach three Euro finals, and first to do it with three different countries
- Croatia finished second behind Greece
- Bolton Wanderers forward Ivan Klasnic dropped by Croatia manager Slaven Bilic
France v USA
- France also plays Belgium on Tuesday
- In his five games, the United States have one win under Jurgen Klinsmann and have lost three games and drawn one – only scoring two goals.
- Positive side is the team has yet to concede more than a goal in each of the 5 games
- Klinsmann has developed a pattern of using players developed in Germany – Timmy Chandler, Danny Williams, Fabian Johnson, Alfredo Morales, Jermaine Jones
- No Landon Donovan
- USA plays Slovenia on Tuesday
CONCACAF World Cup Qualifying
St Kitts and Nevis V Canada
- Canada (3-0-1) plays in St. Kitts (1-0-3) on Friday and then plays the return game on Tuesday in Toronto.
- Canada needs only one point to advance to the next round – St. Kitts and Nevis needs to win both.
- Group A – El Salvador set to move on – will join Mexico and Costa Rica and winner group B
- Group B – Guyana leads T&T by a point and a head to head game series Friday (in Guyana) and Tuesday
- Group C – Panama has qualified – joins Honduras and Cuba
- Group D – Canada set to progress and will join Panama
- Group E – Guatemala has qualified – joins Jamaica and USA + winner Group F
- Group F – Antigua and Barbuda two points ahead of Haiti – and a head to head game series Friday (A&B at home) and Tuesday
CONMEBOL World Cup Qualifying
Argentina v Bolivia
- Argentina started with a 4-1 victory over Chile but then lost 1-0 in Venezuela.
- Bolivia with two defeats and only team without a point.
- They lost to Uruguay 4-2 score line and a 2-1 home defeat to Colombia
Uruguay v Chile
- Uruguay coach Oscar Tabarez without Diego Forlan, Abel Hernandez, Alvaro Fernandez, Walter Gargano, Jorge Fucile & Maxi Pereira.
- Uruguay with four points from their first two games.
- Chile at home to Paraguay on Tuesday
- Arturo Vidal, Jorge Valdivia, Jean Beausejour, Gonzalo Jara and Carlos Carmona all sent home by Chile manager Claudio Borghi
Colombia vs. Venezuela
Paraguay vs Ecuador
You can get updates through RSS (top of the page), follow at Twitter BobbySoccerRep, or on Facebook SoccerReportExtra.com
You can also find other Soccer Report Extra.com contributors on Twitter by following this link.
Please refrain from posting comments that;
- Attempt to demean, intimidate or bully fellow readers
- Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, intolerant or otherwise abusive
- Includes language likely to offend or attempts to try and circumvent this request
- Could be considered spam
The House reserves the right to delete any such comments and to block further participation on the site.