Open Thread Saturday – Top Games In England and Italy, Atletico In Deep
Written by Bobby McMahon on November 26, 2011 | 1 Comment »
Posted in Arsenal, Atletico Madrid, Blackburn Rovers, Fulham, General, Juventus, Lazio, Manchester United, Newcastle United, Real Madrid, Stoke City
Here are snapshots of some of the games on Saturday.
Stoke v Blackburn
- Both Stoke and Blackburn’s current form (3 points from last 6 games) is poor and only Wigan are worse.
- Stoke are coming off a putrid showing against QPR last weekend in a game they lost 3-2 – they only completed 118 passes
- Seven of Stoke’s 10 goals this season have been from set plays
- Blackburn have given up nine points from winning positions this season
- The Rovers remain have still to win an away game this season
- Look for this one to be a bit “agricultural” – Blackburn have committed the most fouls in the league with 162; Stoke is third with 149
Manchester United v Newcastle
- Manchester United have not scored more than a goal in a game in their last 5 Premier League matches
- Javier Hernandez has scored three of the 5 with Darren Fletcher and an own goal contributing the other
- Breakdown – 18 of United’s 29 goals came in their first four games; 13 of 29 goals came in two of these games against Arsenal and Bolton
- Wayne Rooney is without a Premier League goal since Chelsea September 18 – 7 games ago
- Newcastle have started well but it has not been on account of peppering the opposition with shots – only Aston Villa, Blackburn and Stoke have taken fewer shots this season.
- It has been a long-time – 1972 was the last win for Newcastle at Old Trafford.
- And it doesn’t get any better overall – it has been 17 games since Newcastle have beat Manchester Unite
Arsenal v Fulham
- Streaking – Arsenal has won their last 5 matches in the Premier League
- An exclusive relationship? Theo Walcott has assisted on eight goals in 2011 and all have been scored by Robin Van Persie
- Fulham should be in a better position than they are. The reason has much to do with results against poorer opposition. Currently they have averaged more points against teams in the top half than in the bottom ten.
- Fulham have a decent record against Arsenal at Craven Cottage but away trips are something different – 7 losses and 2 draws.
- Fulham have used 20 players so far – the fewest in the Premier League while Arsenal have used the most with 27
Lazio v Juventus
- Both teams with 22 points but Juventus has a game in hand which will be played against Napoli in midweek.
- A win for either side will take them to the top of Serie A
- Defences on top – Juventus has conceded just 7 goals and Lazio 8 this season
- Lazio are unbeaten in league play since a 2-1 home loss to Genoa in mid-September 18
- Lazio have yet to allow a goal in final 15 minutes this season
- Lazio have produced better results on the road than at home – only 8 of their 22 points have come at home
- Juventus’ leading scorers are Marchisio and Matri have both scored 5 this season
- It could be professional game #700 if Alessandro Del Piero plays
Real Madrid v Atletico Madrid
- This game can be summed up by this – Atletico have not beaten Real Madrid away from home since the 2000 season.
- Atletico were cuffed four times by Real last season and just to pile on the impending sense of doom Atletico has only collected one point (an away raw to Granada) from 5 away games and only scored two goals.
- Real Madrid at home have a 100% record, have scored 24 and allowed only six.
- Falcao is injured and will not line up for Atletico.
You can get updates through RSS (top of the page), follow at Twitter BobbySoccerRep, or on Facebook SoccerReportExtra.com
You can also find other Soccer Report Extra.com contributors on Twitter by following this link.
Please refrain from posting comments that;
- Attempt to demean, intimidate or bully fellow readers
- Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, intolerant or otherwise abusive
- Includes language likely to offend or attempts to try and circumvent this request
- Could be considered spam
The House reserves the right to delete any such comments and to block further participation on the site.