While Some Shop There Is Football to Be Watched – Open Thread
Written by Bobby McMahon on December 25, 2011 | 9 Comments »
Posted in English Premier League
Chelsea v Fulham
- Since being promoted Fulham have rarely impressed away from home. In the last 2 and a half seasons they have only won five of 46 away games
- Goals have not been plentiful either – only 5 in their last 7 games and 2 have been own goals. Reliance by certain teams on certain players brings to mind Arsenal/Van Persie and Newcastle/Ba but Clint Dempsey has been involved in nine of Fulham’s 18 goals this season.
- Between now and Feb 3 Fulham’s only trips out of London take them to Norwich and Blackburn
- Chelsea have feasted on Fulham down the years and have lost only one of their last 20 league games – winning 12 and drawing seven
Liverpool v Blackburn
- If you take Blackburn’s current record and project over the rest of the season it comes to only 22 points.
- In order to reach 36 points Blackburn have to replicate the pace of Stoke so far this season.
- Blackburn may have scored in all 8 Premier League away games this season but have yet to win.
- Liverpool have been wasteful in attack but they have the best defensive record in Premier League with just 13 goals allowed in 16 games.
- Liverpool are unbeaten in 8 home games this season but have only 3 wins – all against teams in bottom 5
- So far Liverpool have played only three home games against team currently in top half – is it good news or bad news?
- Luis Suarez comparison to last season – 10/11 to 11/12; Goals 4/5; Minutes per goal 276/275; shooting accuracy 49%/44%; chance conversion 9%/8%.
Manchester Utd v Wigan
- Wigan have picked up eight points from losing positions this season and all in last 6 games – not one before that.
- Wigan and Manchester United have met 13 times in their history, United have won them all and outscored their opponents 41 to four.
- Ali Al-Habsi was the hero against Liverpool and not for the first time – he has saved three of the four penalties this season
- Wigan – only 15 goals this season; Jordi Gomez the leading scorer with 4 goals (2 penalties) in last 6 matches
- 7 of Wigan’s losses of 9 have been by two goals or more
- Manchester United have won 34 and lost just two of their last 38 Premier League matches at Old Trafford.
- Fantasy Football tip – Wayne Rooney has scored 10 goals in 13 appearances against Wigan in all competitions.
West Brom v Manchester City
- West Brom have won their last two matches at Blackburn and Newcastle
- Who is on penalty kick duty for City? West Bromwich Albion have conceded a penalty in each of their last four matches at The Hawthorns
- West Brom have only 7 points from a possible 21 at home
- West Brom have not recorded a clean sheet in last 9 matches and no team has stopped City scoring in the league since Liverpool in April.
Bolton v Newcastle
- A 5-1 win for Bolton against Newcastle was a high point of last season but since that game Bolton’s form and performances steadily declined
- There have been seven defeats in eight home league matches for Bolton
- Demba Ba is the only Newcastle player to have scored in their last 7 and a half hours of PL football.
- Will this match produce a change in fortune? Only Bolton have had worse form over the last five games than Newcastle
Sunderland v Everton
- Everton have picked up just two points from a possible 27 against top-half sides this season. Fortunately, perhaps, Sunderland have not yet attained such heights.
- All eight of Sunderland’s defeats this season have been by a one-goal margin.
Stoke v Aston Villa
- Two teams that lost their last matches but one took away some comfort while the other hardly turned up
- Villa lost to Arsenal courtesy of another goal conceded from a corner kick – when Benayoun stoops to score from a header six yards out then it is time to pick up a copy of “Defending Corner Kicks for Dummies.”
- That and Alan Hutton’s red card were the two blemishes on a much better display by Villa
- Stoke defended so deep against Manchester City it was just as well that Thomas Sorensen doesn’t suffer from claustrophobia.
- They created virtually nothing and were fortunate to escape with only a three goal defeat.
You can get updates through RSS (top of the page), follow at Twitter BobbySoccerRep, or on Facebook SoccerReportExtra.com
You can also find other Soccer Report Extra.com contributors on Twitter by following this link.
Please refrain from posting comments that;
- Attempt to demean, intimidate or bully fellow readers
- Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, intolerant or otherwise abusive
- Includes language likely to offend or attempts to try and circumvent this request
- Could be considered spam
The House reserves the right to delete any such comments and to block further participation on the site.