Crystal Ball As Much Good As A Glass Eye in Predicting Barclay’s Premier League
Written by Bobby McMahon on May 24, 2012 | 4 Comments »
Posted in English Premier League
So the dust has settled on the 2011/12 Barclay’s Premier League season and it is now “own-up” time. It is a chance to cast back to August 2011 when everything seemed so clear and logical.
The Guardian is one of the few publications that recount their predictions from nine months ago and they ran the article at the beginning of last week.
In the interests of full-disclosure it is up to Soccer Report Extra to do the same. So journey back and if hit the link “comments” and then scan down to the aforementioned comments you will find my picks from just before opening day together with others from regular readers.
Tucked away in the comments Gorn alludes to a possible Champions League win Chelsea. Give that man a coconut!
I was within seconds of getting 1 through 3 correct. Not many had Chelsea finishing as low as 4th and as it turned out I was overly optimistic.
Liverpool underperformed for me while Spurs did make the top 4 against my prediction of #6.
Misses for me (3 or more places);
- Aston Villa (McLeish got a decent start but could not make a decent season)
- Sunderland and Stoke (but both only two points out of predicted position)
- Fulham (nice season once they got moving)
- Bolton (season got off to a terrific start at Loftus Road but that was it)
- Wolves (disaster)
- Norwich (in a relatively tight band of teams 10 to 15 separated by four points)
- Newcastle (never saw it coming – tremendous season)
- Wigan (the great survivors)
- Swansea (showed how it can be done)
Premier League – 1-20 Bobby (Finishing position + pts)
- Manchester United (2-89)
- Manchester City (1-89)
- Arsenal (3-70)
- Chelsea (6-64)
- Liverpool (8-52)
- Tottenham (4-69)
- Aston Villa (16-38)
- West Brom (10-47)
- Everton (7-56)
- Sunderland (13-45)
- Stoke (14-45)
- Fulham (9-52)
- Bolton (18-36)
- Wolverhampton (20-25)
- Norwich (12-47)
- QPR (17-37)
- Newcastle (5-65)
- Wigan (15-43)
- Blackburn (19-31)
- Swansea (11-47)
- West Ham – correct but through play-off
- Leicester – never in the hunt
- Cardiff – play-ff exit again
Top Scorer Premier League
- Darren Bent – injured but he would not have caught Robin van Persie
You can get updates through RSS (top of the page), follow at Twitter BobbySoccerRep, or on Facebook SoccerReportExtra.com
You can also find other Soccer Report Extra.com contributors on Twitter by following this link.
Have some thoughts and opinions you want to express? The Training Ground is your chance. Just click on the link.
Please refrain from posting comments that;
- Attempt to demean, intimidate or bully fellow readers
- Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, intolerant or otherwise abusive
- Includes language likely to offend or attempts to try and circumvent this request
- Could be considered spam
The House reserves the right to delete any such comments and to block further participation on the site.