Saturday - March 25, 2017
Home    About    Writers    Links    Contact     RSS

About the Author

Bobby McMahon

Bobby McMahon

You can see me on Soccer Central most Mondays and Thursdays on Rogers Sportsnet in Canada. I write a regular column for Forbes.com and Soccerly.com and frequently guest on various podcasts and radio shows.


TANGENTS

Congratulations Your Takeover Bid For Arsenal Arrived A Decade Late

Written by on March 4, 2013 | 2 Comments »
Posted in Arsenal

It wasn’t meant to be this way.

After an Arsenal article last week it was shaping up to be a state of MLS piece.

But early Sunday morning the Telegraph published a story of an impending bid of $2.25B to buy Arsenal. That proved too good to pass up.

The details in the article raised considerable doubt as to the veracity of the takeover bid.  But nonetheless, when taken within the context of Arsenal’s current financial and playing situation, it offers an interesting point from which to gauge where Arsenal are…to read more please click on the link.


2 responses to “Congratulations Your Takeover Bid For Arsenal Arrived A Decade Late”

  1. John Bladen says:

    As noted in yesterday’s comments, Bobby, the Telegraph piece was pretty laughable. Sounds like a fan dreaming up ‘evidence’ to support what he wants/hopes will happen.

    It makes no sense whatsoever for Arsenal to be bought out at that price and at this time. And the notion that “they wouldn’t be buying it for the return but to invest” is just bunk. What Abramovich or Man City ownership are doing might be successful on pitch, but it is in no way investing. If RA wanted to sell Chelsea tomorrow, what would his accumulated losses be? $700m? $1Bn?

    The original piece was a classic case of someone who knows nothing about economics trying to explain high finance… and not even making a passable effort at it.

    In some ways, though, I’d like to see this bid come in… it would be hilarious watching the fans froth at the mouth when Kroenke says “not for sale”!

  2. Alberta Gooner says:

    Superb piece of analysis, Bobby. As somebody who spent the better part of 20 years as a working journalist, it’s astounding media outlets are willing to risk their credibility on such thin evidence by an anonymous source (and I’ll bet you a bottle of your favourite plonk that this story came from a football agent).

    BTW, anybody who has worked in the global oilpatch would laugh at the idea that Quatari and UAE investors would be involved a joint venture. That’s not part of the business culture in that part of the world.

    There’s different pressures on reporters these days than even 10 years ago to stand out in an increeasingly fragmented market, particularly with the rise of social media and the 24/7/365 news cycle. But these kinds of stories do more to damage a brand than bring back eyeballs. While newspapers complain about shrinking audiences, they rarely see some of the worst wounds are self-inflicted. This story is a great example.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

House Rules

Please refrain from posting comments that;

  • Attempt to demean, intimidate or bully fellow readers
  • Are racist, sexist, homophobic, sexually explicit, intolerant or otherwise abusive
  • Includes language likely to offend or attempts to try and circumvent this request
  • Could be considered spam

The House reserves the right to delete any such comments and to block further participation on the site.




Soccer Report Extra
© copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
 
Designed and Developed by:
Bills'eye + Underscorefunk Design